Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Love and a Big Voice, What Else Could You Possibly Ask For

I'll hold off on my Sarah Palin watch for a day or so except to mention that we're now on day 11 of the Palin circus and that Ms. Palin finally went unscripted on day 9; she immediately showed her ignorance by saying that Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac had become too big and too expensive for taxpayers. The woman should never speak without a teleprompter; she's got a mouth, but not much of a brain. It's as if Ryan Seacrest was running for a national political office. I'm still amazed by it all.

Instead today I'll post about a different woman who I saw for the first time this past weekend. I'm in love. My sweetie met the young woman too and understands completely, bless her soul. My sweetie knows after meeting this woman that there are some things she cannot provide and that a man must follow his heart.

My sweetie has many talents, but singing is not one of them. And my new love, ah my new love, can sing!

The other day we were watching free opera at Golden Gate Park featuring young, talented, but not quite ready for the major leagues voices in San Francisco's Adler Fellowship Program. It was a lot of fun. Maybe 10,000 people were there sitting in the grass, most drinking wine that they brought along. The people next to us also brought along a candelabra for their picnic blanket. Nice touch, that. It was a sweet crowd that listened politely and cheered after every performance.

And that's where I heard my new love. Her name is Heidi Melton. She was about number five on the program. The second she walked onto the stage both my sweetie and I knew something wonderful was going to happen. There was something about her presence. She planted herself on the stage with such confidence that she demanded that you listen.

Then she began to sing. Oh my! In my teen years, there were two things that I was crazy about: opera and baseball. My heart still goes pitter patter when I see someone with natural talent perform either activity. A sweet voice or a sweet swing and I'm a goner. I can still remember the first time I saw Paul Molitor swing the bat. Ahhh. I can still remember the first time I saw Carmen and heard Placido Domingo in the lead male role. Ahhh. I was in love both times. So it goes with Heidi Melton.

Heidi Melton has the kind of natural major opera house potential that you hear in a handful of voices. Ten seconds into her singing Weber and you knew. She came back after intermission and sang Puccini. It wasn't perfect in both cases, but she'll only get better. Oh my!

To be truthful, my sweetie was a little catty about my new found love. She noted that my new love, built for opera and not a bathing suit, would not easily be able to climb up the ladder leading to our bedroom loft in our new place. I told my sweetie that with the power of love I would easily carry Ms. Melton up those stairs. Her response was, "Yeah, right." Her sarcasm was like water off a duck's back. When you're in love, you can easily move beyond the world's pettiness. So there!

No comments: